Tuesday, April 24, 2012

First Month in California

Hello everyone who is reading this! I wanted to find a way to bridge the gap between those of you I've left in Texas, and also anyone I've met recently in California who'd like to hear about what I'm up to.

First of all, I'd like to start by saying how great God is and what an adventure we get to experience in this life!

My first couple of weeks here were all about getting set up with a phone and a car. Phone has turned out just fine, and most of you have my new number. If you do not have my new number or address, please feel free to contact my e-mail lenailtx@yahoo.com, and I'll be sure to send it your way :)
Getting a new car was my first goal, which has turned out to be a big experience. The short version of the story was that I was sold a car with a lot of problems, but at the same time I only had a small amount, and kinda knew that for the money I was paying I wouldn't be getting much back. However, I thought at least I'd be able to get from a to b in this car. Turns out it lasted about a week before it started collecting dust and I started searching for ways to get it paid for!
    This has currently left me in the city I started in, Lancaster CA. It's only about an hour north of LA, closer to Pasedena, as some of you may be more familiar with that city (TCU fans ;). Eventually, I'd like to spend some time back down in the Laguna area to take some extra painting workshops or classes just to meet other artists and I'll always be pushing my skills further in art, but for now I am growing more attached to this city. I've even been doing a bit of research on the area to get to know it better. It's a mountain/desert area, that gets a bit of snow in the winter and stays nice and warm during the summers. The weather is beautiful and the landscape is amazing. It's small town atmosphere with the nice California weather and people, so I kinda like the combination!
     My main point in returning to California has been to really get grounded and connected to a good Christian community and create a forever home. Community has been awesome so far! Anthony and I have found a great study group and truly wonderful church. Our Bible study group is very large, and we also break into smaller groups, which I think works really well. We've had a lot of friends kindly go out of their way to give us rides to church and studies, so we are very grateful! We've only been to one meeting so far, which was just a starter get to know you event.
   We also went to a Poppy Festival here recently, where I was able to talk to so many people who were representing companies, churches, and outreach in the community. Some of which I hope to keep involved with in the future. One in particular was a Foster Care service who I may be creating a mural for soon! I've found the people here in my city to be very supportive and friendly in general, and I am very happy to be here.
  And as a closing note, if anyone is up for prayers, please continue to pray that I get a job close by soon so that I can repair my car. That would enable me to get more involved in art related projects and start looking for a place to stay.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment